I recently posted about one of my all-time favorite finds, an antique Knectel buffet-turned TV cabinet. You can read about how I came across this beautiful buffet here.
It caught my eye with its great curves and raised mouldings. Its style, size and the storage space it offered were also perfect for what I had in mind as a cabinet for our recently purchased flat screen TV. Its current finish though, left a lot to be desired.
After setting up shop in my garage, I stripped its top in preparation for a dark ebony stain. I then filled the imperfections with wood filler, sanded away what I could of the large burn marks on the top and began to apply the stain. No matter what I did the burn marks would not go away. I tried sanding and again reapplying the stain, with no luck. I decided instead of fighting with it, I would paint the top the same colour as the rest of the buffet; a nice cream with a dark gray base coat.
Here are some photos of the finished cabinet. It is challenging to take a good pictures of this cabinet as my family room is on the north side of my house and it does not have a lot of natural light. If you double-click on each of the photos, you will be able to see a larger size.
In order to leave room for the TV components, I had to remove the top middle drawer. I painted and finished a piece of 1/4″ plywood in the same finish as the cabinet and placed it in the opening to give a strong support for the components and to hide the marks from the drawer glides. I wanted to keep everything intact just in case I wanted to use the cabinet somewhere else in my home in the future. I can easily take out the plywood base and put the drawer back in the cabinet.
The reproduction needlepoint chair (below left) will be getting new upholstery and a new wood finish in the near future. The diamond pattered chair (above right) will be getting a new slipcover to hide its dated fabric. Everything will tie in much better with the rest of the room once I can finally get to these projects. So many projects, so little time!
Anyway, I digress… After two coats of the cream paint, I lightly distressed the finish to show some of the dark gray base coat underneath. It is very subtle but really complements the cabinet and picks up on the accent colours that I have in the room. I also decided to re-use the original hardware to save some money.
I have two rambunctious children in the house so I finished the cabinet in several coats of a durable topcoat. Sanding in between coats really gave it a soft silky finish. I also had a piece of glass cut to protect the top. I think the glass top adds a little bit of glamour as well.
I haven’t yet filled up the cabinet, but I have made a good start with some of my kids’ games and some coordinating baskets from my local Michaels to house some of our DVDs and other electronic gadgets.
Please let me know what you think. I would love to read your comments. :) Next, I will be posting about my vintage oak dresser transformation.
Parties I’ve Linked Up To:
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays ~ Domestically Speaking - 113th Power of Paint Party ~ The Shabby Nest – Frugal Friday ~ Delightful Order – Delightfully Inspiring Thursday ~ Not Just A Housewife – Show Me What Ya Got ~ Somewhat Simple – Strut Your Stuff Link Party ~ Mustard Seed Creations – Furniture Feature Friday ~ French Country Cottage – Feathered Nest Friday ~ Fingerprints on the Fridge – Feature Yourself Friday ~ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating - Flaunt it Friday ~ My Romantic Home – Show and Tell Friday ~ Mum of All Trades – Weekend Wonders Blog Link Party ~ Be Different Act Normal – Show and Tell Saturdays ~ Remodelaholic – Remodelaholic’s Anonymous ~ Mom 4 Real – 4 Real Friday Link Party ~ Days of Chalk and Chocolate – Latest Greatest Friday ~ Under the Table and Dreaming – The Sunday Showcase Party ~ Common Ground – Vintage Inspiration ~ Thrifty Decor Chick – March Before and After Party ~
Don’t miss a post on thrifty transformations, crafts, DIY projects and more!
Subscribe to Hooked on Decorating by Email